Subject: Topics for imaging tutorial

Topics for imaging tutorial

From: Douglas W. Nishimura <dwnpph<-a>
Date: Friday, August 19, 2005
    author.

The Society for Imaging Science and Technology is organizing an
Archiving meeting for next year in Ottawa and I have the job of
organizing tutorials for the conference. It is being co-sponsored by
AIC and CCI so I'm interested in finding out what topics would
interest the conservation community. One obvious thought that we had
was dealing with the archiving of conservation documentation,
although I think that this one will have to wait until 2007. The
steering committee has suggested the following topics:

    Archival properties of paper and other media
    Digital format standards
    Physics of archival inks
    Storage for digital documents
    Historical archival successes
    Lifetimes of various media (magnetic tape, CDs, DVDs, paper
    products) JPEG2000
    Digital Imaging Architecture for Archiving

The first two years, the meeting was very digital oriented, but the
steering committee wants to maintain a broader scope including the
archiving of paper and traditional photographic materials as shown
by their desired topic list for paper submissions:

File Formats for Digital Archiving

    Standards for formats, color and compression
    JPEG 2000, METS, MPEG, PDF/A
    * Containers and packaging
    JPEG 2000, METS, PDF/A
    * Production workflows
    Creating faithful reproductions
    Digitization systems and techniques
    Quality control methods and tools
    Acquisition and normalization of content
      * Velocity and impacts

Electronic Archiving and Content Management
    Components and architecture
        Reference models (e.g., OAIS)
        Repositories
    Sustainability models (migration, emulation, virtual computing)

    Digital asset management
    Digital rights management and content authentication
    Preservation metadata

Auditing and certification

    Economics
    Velocity and impacts

Storage Technologies

    Permanence and stability standards
    Media formats
    Data backup and recovery
    Software and hardware obsolescence
    Cost models
    Object cost of storage vs. time
    Velocity and impacts

Archiving and Management of Non-Electronic Media

    Environmental control
    Permanence and stability
    Hardcopy permanence
    Film permanence
    Storage (enclosures, containers)
    Conservation techniques
    Indexing, search and retrieval
    Velocity and impacts

Electronic Access

    Indexing, search and retrieval
    Taxonomies vs. text search (or structured vs. unstructured)
    Reference tools
    Velocity and impacts

Personal Photo Archives

    Challenge: saving pictures for a lifetime
    Indexing and organizing
    Standards for file and storage formats
    Electronic strategies
    Hybrid (analog/digital) strategies
    Economics
    Workflows, services, and tools
    Velocity and Impacts

Case Studies

    Digital archives
    Preservation of collections (all types, all organizations)
    Personal ("consumer") digital archives

Paper solicitation is someone else's job, but it shows the intended
scope of the meeting. What I'm looking for are suggestions for
tutorial topics that would be of interest to conservators or related
people. Also if you can think of a good tutorial instructor for your
suggested topics, it would also help.

Douglas W. Nishimura
Senior Research Scientist
Image Permanence Institute