Subject: Imitation leather

Imitation leather

From: Doon Laura Lovett <doon_lovett<-a>
Date: Thursday, August 18, 2005
I have been given a pair of red fake leather trousers to treat for
storage and future display. The manufacturer's label says that the
outer surface is polyurethane and the backing is cotton.the trousers
have been heavily worn and in many areas, particularly around the
bottom and crotch and also over storage creases, the shiny layer of
polyurethane has cracked and is flaking off. The surface also feels
sticky. I am thinking of consolidating the flaking areas as long as
this doesn't stiffen the material and wondered if anyone had any
experience of dealing with this fabric--maybe shoes, costume or car
upholstery. My other problem will be what material to use to wrap or
box the trousers in for storage as I am worried about the
stickiness.

Doon Lovett
Textile Conservator
Textile Conservation Centre
University of Southampton (Winchester Campus)
Park Avenue
Winchester UK

                  Distributed: Friday, August 26, 2005