Subject: Caulk on bronze

Caulk on bronze

From: Mark Erdmann <erdmannmark<-a>
Date: Tuesday, August 16, 2005
I am doing some routine maintenance on a private collection of
outdoor bronzes, several of which have been caulked around the base
of the bronze, where it meets the granite plinth.  Some of the caulk
is cracked or separating, and I would like to replace it.  However,
I understand there are problems with offgassing of acetic acid with
many types of caulk.  Can anyone tell me whether there is a caulk
that is appropriate for use on bronze that won't react with the
bronze or ruin the patina?

Mark Erdmann
Cleveland Art Metals

                  Distributed: Friday, August 26, 2005