Subject: New web site--Time-based media

New web site--Time-based media

From: Pip Laurenson <pip.laurenson<-a>
Date: Thursday, August 18, 2005
Media Matters <URL:http://www.tate.org.uk/mediamatters> is a new
website which promises to be an invaluable resource for artists,
collectors, dealers and museums who are concerned with the
preservation of time based media such as video, slide, film, audio
and computer-based installations. The website represents the first
phase of a unique ongoing collaboration between curators,
conservators, registrars and media technical managers from Tate, The
Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
(SFMoMA) and New Art Trust.

It provides information about useful and effective conservation
tools and methods, and addresses the loan process. Tools available
include a process diagram, budget, condition report, facilities
report, installation documentation and a loan agreement.

A spokesperson from the group says

   "The challenge of preserving time-based media is one best met
    collaboratively, and our hope is that others will not only find
    this information useful but will also contribute to the project
    as it emerges. We aim to evaluate the process described in phase
    one of this project against the realities of our day to day work
    alongside artists, galleries, museums and collectors. Already
    this act of reflection is proving illuminating".

                  Distributed: Friday, August 26, 2005