Subject: Raking light

Raking light

From: Jed Bark <jbark<-a>
Date: Saturday, July 23, 2005
We are seeking a lamp that can be hand-held at the perimeter of
works of art on paper, or set on the examination table next to such
works-a source of raking light to highlight surface irregularities.
In our experience, the light from ordinary flashlights is too
"uneven", since it's modulated by the reflector and the lens. We may
try to modify an incandescent picture light (the kind that can be
attached to the top of a frame), but it will probably be too weak a
source.

We'd appreciate knowing if any reader has found a good lamp for this
purpose. Are there LEDs or metal halide lamps that might improve on
incandescent lamps? And are there any good lamps that are battery
powered?

Jared Bark
Bark Frameworks LLC
21-24-44th Avenue