Subject: Publications available--addendum

Publications available--addendum

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh<-a>
Date: Thursday, August 11, 2005
I was afraid that no one would be interested in my offer of
journals--I had heard of other people trying the same thing without
notable success.  I was wrong--when I walked into my lab this
morning there were already three phone message and 32 emails.

My apologies to everyone to whom I am NOT going to give the
journals--we prefer to give them to a training facility or central
lab in the developing world where a lot of people will have access,
and will probably split up the journals to benefit more than one
facility, but have not made a decision yet.  So my apologies
again--given the number of emails and calls, I will not be answering
every one.

The good news is that, yes, a lot of people read the DistList, and
very quickly at that.

I *urge* retired conservators, anyone else with overburdened
bookshelves or extra copies, to get on the DistList and make the
same offer.  It is quite heartening, with all the difficulties of
publishing and selling conservation literature, to see how much it
is treasured all over the world.  My first group of emails included
people from Argentina, Malta, New Caledonia, Romania, Scotland,
Greece, Spain, Germany, Poland, Norway, and many places in the US.

And in my usual role of cheerleader, I urge people who are thinking
about writing for publication to get on with it and submit their
work to journals.  When I tell prospective authors that other
conservators *Really really* want to hear what they have to say, I
am not kidding. One thing that many of you may not know is that the
full run of AIC journals is on the AIC web site
<URL:http://aic.stanford.edu/jaic/>

This offer tapped into a huge group of people who would like copies
of meeting proceedings and other publications as well as journals.
I urge you to contact AIC and IIC (and other groups as well)  about
the possibility of making them available--it is a shame for
professionals not to have access to the literature of their own
profession.

Barbara Appelbaum
Appelbaum and Himmelstein
444 Central Park West