Subject: Dust and health hazards

Dust and health hazards

From: Hassan Bolourchi <hass<-a>
Date: Tuesday, July 26, 2005
Helena Jaeschke <helena.jaeschke [at] exeter__gov__uk> writes

>A number of small museums are concerned that their staff (many of
>whom are retired people, either elderly or infirm) may be exposed to
>hazardous substances in the dust of museum storage areas and have
>asked if there is any feasible way of testing the dust for the
>presence of poisons, heavy metal compounds, pnicogens, pathogens
>etc. ...

You may find some information about hazards of heavy metals in
libraries (or museum) dust at
<URL:http://www.library-dust.com/dust>. We can measure the heavy
metals and others in dust please contact hass<-a t->library-dust< . >com.

I did research about two years ago regarding the health hazards of
dust in libraries and made a web site
<URL:http://www.library-dust.com> to share our knowledge and
experience with other researchers and eventual victims.  You are the
first conservator to express interest in this problem. I realized
that conservators are interested more to objects than humans. That
is normal; the public health responsible should take care of such
problems. But you can report existing problems. We started serious
research with a few researchers in Europe and US. I invite you and
whomever else will be interested to join us to make advance this
important safety occupational issue.

Hassan Bolourchi
Chemical Engineer, Ph.D
Library Dust Consulting