Subject: CAT scanning and terra cotta

CAT scanning and terra cotta

From: Michael Maggen <maggen<-a>
Date: Saturday, August 13, 2005
Barbara Appelbaum <aandh [at] mindspring__com> writes

>I have a problem concerning the examination of an archaeological
>terra cotta.  I am looking into the possibility of having it
>CAT-scanned, but don't know whether normal X-rays (if that is what
>is used) would penetrate up to about 12 inches of terra cotta.  I
>would appreciate hearing from someone with experience that would
>shed light on this.

You should consult with Dr. Nachum Appelbaum
<appelbau<-a t->h2< . >hum< . >huji< . >ac< . >il> (funny--his family name is just as
yours) at the Institute of Archaeology, Hebrew University of
Jerusalem, Mount Scopus Campus

Dr. Appelbaum is one of the most experienced archeologist and world
wide expert using CT-scans and X rays analysis with ancient
ceramics, terra cotta--as well. Last year I had the opportunity to
examine with him an ancient object (thought to be a small jar made
of ceramic) which was found near Kumran, the site where Dead Sea
Scrolls were found.

Michael Maggen,
Head of Paper Conservation.
The Israel Museum Jerusalem,