Subject: 3M Novec 1230 Fire Protection Fluid

3M Novec 1230 Fire Protection Fluid

From: Claire Barry <cbarry<-a>
Date: Friday, July 22, 2005
Does anyone have any experience with a Sapphire Fire Suppression
System using Novec 1230? It is a clean agent fire suppressant that
has been proposed for installation in our museum's vault. However,
it is a fairly new product and I am not aware of any fine art
museums that have used the system to date. Novec 1230 is a liquid
that vaporizes upon emission and has a low solubility with water. It
reportedly has low toxicity and would be safe if people were
present. Any feedback on Novec 1230 would be greatly appreciated.

    **** Moderator's comments: A similar question was asked a few
    years ago, but nobody posted a reply (I suspect people responded
    offline). May I remind everyone, that barring some serious
    reason to the contrary (or an explicit note from me in the
    query), responses are meant to come back to
    consdist<-a t->lindy< . >stanford< . >edu, so that we may all benefit from the
    answers. Naturally some responses will be private by nature
    (confidentiality restrictions etc.), but in *general* please
    reply to the DistList.

Claire Barry
Chief Conservator of Paintings
Kimbell Art Museum