Subject: 3M tapes

3M tapes

From: John E. Simmons <jsimmons<-a>
Date: Friday, July 22, 2005
Our exhibits director has asked about using two different types of
3M tape inside an exhibit that he is constructing.  The two tapes
are a 3M 4462 double-coated polyethylene foam tape (closed cell
cross-linked polyethylene foam) with acrylic adhesive; and 3M
4432-4416-4408 closed cell polyvinyl chloride foam tape.  Looking at
the technical data for these tapes, I presume that the polyvinyl
tape is likely to off-gas as it deteriorates, but what about the
polyethylene foam tape with acrylic adhesive?

John E. Simmons
Collection Manager, Natural History Museum and Biodiversity Research
Center
and
Director, Museum Studies Program
University of Kansas