Subject: Soot

Soot

From: Mark Vine <vpackthread<-a>
Date: Friday, July 22, 2005
Deborah Phillips <deborah.phillips [at] devon__gov__uk> writes

>Does anyone have knowledge of the best way to remove greasy soot
>from art paper and printed cardboard ...

Smoke sponges are often used for this purpose. These dry slabs of
vulcanized rubber have quite a unique cleaning capability over a
wide range of substrates. They have been used to great effect to
remove dirt, surface mold and fire damage deposits from walls and
ceilings; paintings, works of art on paper and bookcloths; ceramics,
textiles and plastic objects.

Most conservators find it preferable to cut the slabs into more
manageable slithers which can then be lightly smoothed over the
areas that require cleaning removing surface dust, dirt and even
surface mould spores.

Smoke sponges should only be used completely dry.

We will be happy to forward a sampler piece with full technical
information and instructions for use to anyone interested.

Mark Vine
Conservation Resources (UK) Ltd
Unit 2 Ashville Way
Off Watklington Road