Subject: Murals

Murals

From: Tobit Curteis <tc<-a>
Date: Saturday, July 23, 2005
Gregg Grunow <virginiana [at] nngov__com> writes

>Can anyone recommend an effective and economical method for
>protecting a wall mural during remodeling and the replacement of a
>heating and air conditioning system?
>
>The mural is 27 feet long and 7 feet high.  It was created in
>sections. Oil paint on some kind of wood composite board.  The
>sections were bolted to the wall and have been on that wall for
>about 50 years.

In all cases you need to do a risk assessment of the proposed work
and then develop a response to each issue (rather than using a
blanket one-size-fits-all-paintings approach). Are the risks
physical and/or environmental ? - one may require short term
protection while the other might require short term mitigation and
long term control

In my experience nothing beats close liaison with the project
designer/ architect and close supervision of the works while they
are taking place (boring though this last part might be). Also ensue
that all those involved know that the painting might be effected by
structural works on the walls above and below the painting as well
as on the back!

You should also look at the English Heritage free publication
Temporary Protection of Wall Paintings During Building Works

    <URL:http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/
        upload/pdf/wall_paint_protect.pdf>

or even the section on protection during building work on the
'Treatment ' at <URL:http://www.tobit-curteis-associates.com/>

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline.

Finally have an emergency conservation plan in hand (with personnel
and funding in place) in case a disaster occurs.

Tobit Curteis Associates
36 Abbey Road
Cambridge CB5 8HQ
UK