Subject: Murals

Murals

From: Pierlucio Pellissier <pierlucio<-a>
Date: Saturday, July 23, 2005
Gregg Grunow <virginiana [at] nngov__com> writes

>Can anyone recommend an effective and economical method for
>protecting a wall mural during remodeling and the replacement of a
>heating and air conditioning system?
>
>The mural is 27 feet long and 7 feet high.  It was created in
>sections. Oil paint on some kind of wood composite board.  The
>sections were bolted to the wall and have been on that wall for
>about 50 years.

>From my experience you could face three main hazards:

    a.  dust from the construction works and contaminants coming
        from the old air conditioning ducts;

    b.  possible moisture due to various sources during the
        remodeling (i.e. water evaporation when drying the drywall
        compound for example);

    c.  possible damages due to impact when moving objects on a construction
        site.

So in order to minimize these hazards I would lay:

    1.  a first layer of japanese paper over the surface of the
        mural, mechanically attached to the wall or the crowning or
        where possible;

    2.  a second layer of bond paper sealed at the joints over the
        first;

    3.  a temporary partition of metallic studs at a distance of
        four to five inches from the wall. This temporary wall
        should be made, facing away from the mural, with one layer
        of polyethylene film (vapour barrier) sealed all around,
        followed by one layer of plywood, particle board, or
        whatever board impact resistant..

This arrangement served me well in the past, avoiding condensation
and excessive humidity and  is dust and impact protected.

Pierlucio Pellissier
Architect/conservator
Arts and Architecture
Montreal