Subject: Glass colored prints

Glass colored prints

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo<-a>
Date: Sunday, July 17, 2005
Rachel Swift <rachswift [at] hotmail__com> writes

>...  The subject of my independent research project is the
>conservation of English reverse-glass prints. ...
>... I am referring to flat glass which has had a
>print adhered to one side, the paper removed leaving the ink and a
>thin layer of paper, and the image coloured with paint. ...
>appreciated.

Your problem is a variation of type of reverse glass technique. I
published a treatment and follow-up to determine durability of
treatment for actual reverse glass and paintings on vitreous
surfaces. You will find it in Studies in Conservation, volume 42,
number 3, 1997:157-164. It contains some information on other
conservators' experiences with treatments and their durability,
especially that provided by Carol Aiken and an extensive
bibliography on the method of painting. I provide some background on
the evolution of the method of painting and of different kinds of
reverse glass structures like that you mention.

Niccolo Caldararo
Conservation Art Service

                  Distributed: Thursday, July 21, 2005