Subject: Automatic X-ray processor

Automatic X-ray processor

From: Barry Knight <barry.knight<-a>
Date: Monday, July 18, 2005
Lynda Zycherman <lynda_zycherman [at] moma__org> writes

>Does anyone have experience using an automatic X-ray processor such
>as the Industrex M-35A processor or the M35-I for industrial films
>such as the Kodak Industrex family of films and similar Fuji and
>Agfa films?  Are the machines reliable, if used intermittently, say
>once a week?

I don't have any experience of the automatic film processors you
mention, but I wouldn't think it was economic to purchase one if you
are only going to use it intermittently for small numbers of X-ray
plates. These machines are typically used in hospital radiography
departments where large numbers of films are processed every day.
Another factor you need to consider is archival permanence.
Automatic processors use short fixing times and short washing times
which may not remove all the unreacted silver halide, and this may
cause problems in the long term.

Dr Barry Knight
Head of Conservation Research
The British Library