Subject: Mold on paintings

Mold on paintings

From: Dennis Baltuskonis <dbaltusk<-a>
Date: Monday, July 11, 2005
I am researching the topic of mold damage to artwork, in particular
oil on canvas paintings.  I would like to learn about any prior
research, articles, publications, or personal experiences the
conservation community may have had with this problem. Specifically,
although I have treated several works for mold I have yet to
understand what precisely are the potential dangers/damages.
Recently the courts in Texas have declared that the presence of mold
in homes is not a health threat (at least like it used to be
considered). This begs the question then if a home, filled with
artwork, experiences a severe outbreak of mold what are the dangers
of this situation and what is the recommended solution to the
problem? I would appreciate any information anyone may wish to share
on this issue.

Dennis Baltuskonis
Art Conservation Services
1103 Midnight Drive