Subject: Max Beckmann

Max Beckmann

From: Florian Schwemer <schwemer<-a>
Date: Sunday, July 10, 2005
During investigations into the painting technique and materials of
Max Beckmann I came across a quotation in early editions of Max
Doerner: Malmaterial und seine Verwendung im Bilde. Doerner mentions
a tempera like paint called Syntonosfarbe containing tallow,
train-oil and soap. Doerner also writes of Beckmann's Syntonosfarbe
where I am unsure if Max Beckmann is the person quoted. Does anybody
know of other references of the term Syntonos-Farbe or of its
specific origin or use?

Florian Schwemer
Restaurator | Conservator
Doerner Institut