Subject: 19th century stretchers

19th century stretchers

From: Vanessa Kowalski <nesskowalski<-a>
Date: Monday, July 11, 2005
I am looking for information on Italian standard size stretchers and
canvas types. Does anyone have, or know of, any information on
standard size 19th century Italian landscape and portrait pre-made
stretchers and ready-stretched canvas? Are there standard sizes,
similar to the standard sizes of Winsor and Newton or Bourgeois
stretchers and ready-stretched canvases?

I am looking specifically for dimensions typical to 19th century
Italian stretchers, as well as weave types and weights of
pre-prepared canvases, along with methods and materials used for
preparing canvases. Any information much appreciated.

Vanessa Kowalski
Paintings Conservator
The Centre for Cultural Materials Conservation
The University of Melbourne
Victoria, Australia

                   Distributed: Sunday, July 17, 2005