Subject: Consolidating rubber

Consolidating rubber

From: Heather Dumka <hdumka<-a>
Date: Thursday, July 14, 2005
I would like to hear from anyone who has had experience
consolidating rubber.  I am working on a World War II Japanese
balloon bomb control frame which has numerous rubber-insulated
wires.  The badly oxidized rubber is hard and cracked, and breaks
off at the slightest movement of the wires.  In order to stabilize
the rest of the components, movement of the wires will be necessary
and I would like to try and retain as much of the insulation as
possible, rather than let it all eventually fall off due to gravity
and movement of the artifact.  Any ideas or suggestions?

Heather Dumka
Objects Conservator
Glenbow Museum
130-9th Avenue SE