Subject: Cold storage

Cold storage

From: Chris McAfee <mcafeeck<-a>
Date: Wednesday, July 13, 2005
As some of you know, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
is building a new archives/library/preservation building. We want to
build our "vaults" to the highest standard possible. We are currently
working under the idea that we will have an area with -4 deg F cold
storage for our most valuable items (see
<URL:http://www.wilhelm-research.com/>). However, our building
engineers are concerned with problems of maintaining proper humidity
levels, keeping frost out, etc.

As we've consulted with other archives who have cold storage, their
building engineers have expressed concern with our desire to have -4
degree storage and this has "frightened" our own building engineers.
Of course, none of these individuals have any cold storage less than
25 degrees and they have not dealt with anything colder. So I have 3
requests:

First: I want to know (from a conservator's or preservation
administrator's point of view) how the physical rules change once
you drop below 0 degrees.

Second: As most of the facilities we've talked to are also in more
humid areas, I also want to know how the physical rules change in a
dry climate like Utah.

Third: If those of you who deal with cold storage (35 deg F and
lower) on a regular basis, could make general comments on problems
and solutions you've experienced, it would be greatly appreciated.

Christopher McAfee
Senior Conservator
Family and Church History Department
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
50 E. North Temple St. Rm. 227E
Salt Lake City UT 84150-3420

                   Distributed: Sunday, July 17, 2005