Subject: Mount Rushmore

Mount Rushmore

From: N.J. Bud Goldstone <budgoldstone<-a>
Date: Thursday, July 7, 2005
I do believe we may lose chunks of our one-of-a-kind mountain
sculpture Mt. Rushmore to an unsafe "cleaning" operation. I don't
know why high pressure wound up as the selected method other than it
may have been the low bid, but my database says cleaning off lichen
and mold should be done with a simple, cheap wash job. What was the
the scientific backup that showed a blast was the way to go? Anyone
know?

Bud Goldstone
art conservation engineer-retired

                  Distributed: Saturday, July 9, 2005