Subject: Glass colored prints

Glass colored prints

From: Rachel Swift <rachswift<-a>
Date: Thursday, June 30, 2005
I am currently studying for an MA in Conservation Studies at West
Dean College.  The subject of my independent research project is the
conservation of English reverse-glass prints.  I am looking for
information from conservators who may have worked on this type of
object, in particular the types of consolidants and techniques that
have been used to conserve the paint layer.  To clarify
reverse-glass print I am referring to flat glass which has had a
print adhered to one side, the paper removed leaving the ink and a
thin layer of paper, and the image coloured with paint.  I have been
able to find only a few articles specifically about the treatment
reverse-glass prints as such any information would be greatly
appreciated.

Rachel Swift
West Dean College
West Dean