Subject: HEPA-filtered enclosures

HEPA-filtered enclosures

From: Maria Fredericks <mf360<-a>
Date: Tuesday, June 28, 2005
We are considering the purchase of a stand-alone HEPA-filtered work
station, to make a semi-enclosed work area for removal of mold from
(dry) library materials, particularly from archives collections in
which mold is discovered during processing.  The operator would be
using a combination of brushes and a Nilfisk vacuum to capture the
bulk of the mold, while the HEPA station would, we hope, trap any
stray mold or other particulates. The setting would likely be the
stacks or a manuscript processing area.  I would be interested in
hearing from anyone with experience using and maintaining these
units, or any recommendations as to specific models or
manufacturers.  The one we are looking at right now is the Labconco
Purifier HEPA-Filtered Enclosure, which is not vented to the
outdoors, but passes air through a HEPA filter before recirculating
it into the room.

Maria L. Fredericks
Head, Conservation Department
Columbia University Libraries