Subject: Repairing birdskin splits

Repairing birdskin splits

From: Simon Moore <simon.moore<-a>
Date: Friday, June 24, 2005
Nalini Sharma <nalini.sharma [at] khm__uio__no>

>I would like to get in touch with a conservator who is familiar with
>Arctic feathered birdskin garments. Our museum has a Cormorant-skin
>parka from the Kodiak archipelago in Southern Alaska which is in
>very poor condition: losing feathers, splitting skin, mould on the
>deformed membrane fringes etc. Has anyone ever repaired birdskin
>splits? Any ideas or suggestions?

I have successfully used Japanese tissues for this type of repair
using a neutral pH PVA.  The mend still has some flexibility and is
strong.  The results, thus far, are to be published in the next
edition of NatSCA News which is available from the editor, Vicki
Noble <vicn<-a t->nhm< . >ac< . >uk>

There are also other artificial skins that are used in fine leather
repair such as gold-beater's skin but I have no experience of this
medium to date.

Simon Moore, MIScT, FLS, AMUKIC,ACR,
Conservator of Natural Sciences.
Hampshire County Council