Subject: Carved coal object

Carved coal object

From: Helena Jaeschke <helena.jaeschke<-a>
Date: Friday, July 8, 2005
Emma Herrity <emma.herrity [at] broxtowe__gov__uk> writes

>Could anyone recommend the best method of cleaning a carved piece of
>coal about 100 years old - should it just be dusted when needed?  It
>is currently in a display case and I wondered if there would be any
>environmental problems with adding other objects, e.g. silver pocket
>watches to the case.

Some coals are rich in sulphur and could well cause problems for
silver items. Is it possible to display the coal in its own small
Perspex case with an activated charcoal liner in the base to adsorb
any vapours emitted ?

Helena Jaeschke
Conservation Development Officer
+44 1392 665951