Subject: Removing ink from bone

Removing ink from bone

From: Helena Jaeschke <helena.jaeschke<-a>
Date: Friday, July 8, 2005
Edgardo Pinto Guerra <cocoon [at] mangiasali__it> writes

>Simon Moore <simon.moore [at] hants__gov__uk> writes
>
>>The only successful way I have found for removing Indian ink on bone
>>is the fairly radical use of warm 10 volume hydrogen peroxide with a
>>touch of 0.880 ammonium hydroxide, dabbed with cotton buds.  The
>>bleaching effect on the bone is kept to a minimum and the bone
>>surface is otherwise unaffected.
>
>Suggestion: Better avoid chemicals! Since the ink is water-soluble
>it can easily be extracted physically with Westox Cocoon poultice.

Although used in an aqueous form, Indian ink is a shellac based
media which is therefore insoluble in water once dried and is sold
as "waterproof".

It is possible that laser treatment might help remove the markings.
Anyone in Liverpool like to comment ?

Helena Jaeschke
Conservation Development Officer
+44 1392 665951