Subject: Digital imaging of archival records

Digital imaging of archival records

From: Ala Rekrut <arekrut<-a>
Date: Friday, June 24, 2005
While I have found plenty of information about technical
requirements for digital imaging/digitization, there seems to be
limited information considering the preservation needs of archival
records during digital imaging.  I would like examples of written
procedures for selection of records to be imaged (assessing their
condition, etc.), preparation of the records for imaging, and
handling/support of the records during the imaging. Procedures
developed for staff, for researchers making their own digital
images, and/or for contractors and vendors are all of interest.

I would also like to hear how other conservators have been involved
in planning and implementing digital imaging projects--problems,
lessons learned, best practices established, etc..

Ala Rekrut
Chief, Preservation Services
Archives of Manitoba
200 Vaughan Street