Subject: Cleaning acrylic paintings

Cleaning acrylic paintings

From: Andrea di Bagno <adibagno<-a>
Date: Friday, June 24, 2005
Meenakshi Devi <meenakshi2258 [at] yahoo__co__in> writes

>I am a paintings conservator in India. These days I am working on an
>acrylic painting where I am facing a problem in cleaning. The
>painting is about 50 years old and has an accumulation of dust and
>dirt hiding the details of the painting. Any solvent, aqueous or
>organic, takes out the colour. Could any one recommend some method
>or material with which they have had success?

When faced with the same problem I have found Staedtler Mars dry
cleaning pads work well especially on low gloss acrylic paints with
no impasto and where there is no risk of paint loss due to critical
adhesion.

Andrea Guidi di Bagno
Chief Paintings Conservator
Museum of Fine Arts, Houston