Subject: Cold storage for glass plate negatives

Cold storage for glass plate negatives

From: William L. Hopkins <whopkins<-a>
Date: Thursday, June 16, 2005
We have several thousand glass plate negatives in our possession and
the question has arisen regarding placing them in our cold storage
facility.  The facility is maintained at 32 degrees Fahrenheit with
a relative humidity of 30%.  In attempting to investigate this I
have discovered conflicting data regarding the effect (both positive
and negative) of placing glass plates into cold storage.  Is there a
current standard for the storage (cold or otherwise) of glass plate
negatives?  Any advice or observations would be most helpful and
greatly appreciated.

William L. Hopkins
Manager of Collections
American Heritage Center