Subject: Repairing birdskin splits

Repairing birdskin splits

From: Nalini Sharma <nalini.sharma<-a>
Date: Friday, June 17, 2005
I would like to get in touch with a conservator who is familiar with
Arctic feathered birdskin garments. Our museum has a Cormorant-skin
parka from the Kodiak archipelago in Southern Alaska which is in
very poor condition: losing feathers, splitting skin, mould on the
deformed membrane fringes etc. Has anyone ever repaired birdskin
splits? Any ideas or suggestions?

Nalini Sharma
Textile Conservator, Department of Conservation
Museum of Cultural History, University of Oslo.
Post Box 6762, St Olavs plass
0130 Oslo
+47 22 85 99 77
Fax: +47 22 85 99 60