Subject: PVA emulsion

PVA emulsion

From: Jerry Shiner <info<-a>
Date: Thursday, June 23, 2005
Andrew Hart <ashart [at] email__unc__edu> writes

>I'm very interested in ideas or experience anyone can share about
>unexpected change in PVA from a single supplier, brown film, unusual
>odor, or mold.

Apparently from the discussion regarding PVA, "spoilage" is often
due to recently mandated regulations that have removed the
anti-bacterial agents previously included in the emulsion. Other
means of reducing bacterial spoilage are available.

In the food industry, powerful anti-bacterial agents are simply not
a possibility, and achieving longer shelf-life has been the holy
grail for many food processors. (Longer shelf life reduces
production costs and customer returns, amongst other advantages).
Ageless oxygen absorbers were developed expressly for this purpose
over thirty years ago.

May I suggest that if a jar of PVA emulsion is stored in a barrier
film envelope containing an appropriate quantity of Ageless oxygen
absorber, it will likely have its shelf life dramatically extended.
Experience with Ageless in food products leads me to believe that
the PVA's shelf life could easily be doubled, and possibly extended
by up to four or more times. One could easily repackage the PVA into
smaller bottles, package the bottle in a barrier film bag with
Ageless, store them in a cool place, and simply open them as needed.

I would be happy to talk to any PVA manufacturers about solutions
currently used in the food industry that might have application for
their products.

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Systems

                  Distributed: Thursday, June 23, 2005