Subject: Adhesive for glass plates

Adhesive for glass plates

From: Robin Siegel <rsiegel<-a>
Date: Thursday, June 16, 2005
Marsha Sirven <marsha.sirven [at] paris__fr> writes

>We are looking for tape adhesive safe for conservation treatment on
>autochromes and glass plate negatives to seal glass plates together.
>I would like to know if some test has been done on 3M 550 (acrylic
>adhesive on polypropylene support) or on Filmoplast P90 as
>Photographic Activity Test or another test of compatibility with
>silver, pH, chemical composition etc.

Some 25 years ago we conducted tests at Ciba Geigy on tapes to be
used in Autochrome repair, and the results were soon afterward
compiled for publication in the AIC News. Most of the tapes tested
are now unavailable or the formulas are changed, but I would be
happy to send you my final report if you don't have a copy. One of
the three tapes we found satisfactory was the Filmoplast, although
we decided to use a transparent product called J-Lar II instead, in
order not to cover any of the image area. At that time I purchased a
large quantity of the J-Lar, but I suspect that in the interim, that
formula may have changed as well. It is no longer manufactured by
the same company, but is still available and we do still use it in
various art and photography applications.

Robin Siegel
National Geographic Society
Washington, DC

                  Distributed: Thursday, June 23, 2005