Subject: Batting in backs of framed paintings

Batting in backs of framed paintings

From: John R. Gayer <john.gayer<-a>
Date: Thursday, June 16, 2005
Sara Rowe Hignite <sara_hignite [at] aismail__wustl__edu> writes

>Our preparator has been inserting batting into the backs of framed
>paintings--she was told by a conservator that it was necessary to do
>this for paintings that travel. From what I understand the intention
>is to support the canvas so that it doesn't "flap," so to speak,
>when it's being transported.
>
>Have any of you encountered this? Do you advocate this practice? ...

I have encountered this several times and the batting is usually
affixed to the backing board by double sided tape or a hot glue
adhesive.  Primarily used on large modern works, the correct
thickness provides support without causing the canvas to bulge
outward.  I have not heard of any negative effects.  My only concern
has been the length of time the batting stays in place.  If
forgotten, can it, for example, detach and fall in a clump behind a
slack canvas thus contributing to its distortion and/or risking
damage in a storage facility if left in a narrow space?

John Gayer

                  Distributed: Thursday, June 23, 2005