Subject: Batting in backs of framed paintings

Batting in backs of framed paintings

From: Sara Rowe Hignite <sara_hignite<-a>
Date: Tuesday, June 7, 2005
Our preparator has been inserting batting into the backs of framed
paintings--she was told by a conservator that it was necessary to do
this for paintings that travel. From what I understand the intention
is to support the canvas so that it doesn't "flap," so to speak,
when it's being transported.

Have any of you encountered this? Do you advocate this practice? The
main reason I'm asking is because recently we've had several of
these paintings on tour in Germany, and the German conservators were
shocked to find the batting and were very concerned about its
presence behind the canvases.

Sara Rowe Hignite, Registrar
Mildred Lane Kemper Art Museum
Sam Fox Arts Center