Subject: Video spectral comparator

Video spectral comparator

From: Linda Ramsay <linda.ramsay<-a>
Date: Thursday, June 9, 2005
Mark Clarke <mark [at] clericus__org> writes

>I have had an enquiry about a Video Spectral Comparator (an
>instrument that has several lights, filters, and cameras and
>illuminates/visualises documents at different lights, UV - VIS - IR)
>for reading difficult writing. I have used these before to read
>effaced, faded or stained writing with success.

Durham University has a machine. The person I contacted was Liz
Branigan in the Conservation department. I have been investigating
this for use with a specific document at National Archives of
Scotland and I also pursued this with the local police, as the
machine is really sold mostly to fraud squads. The Glasgow force did
have one so perhaps that is worth investigating for Yorkshire

Foster and Freeman Ltd <URL:http://www.fosterfreeman.co.uk> are the
company I discovered who market this equipment in UK. The contact I
have is Bob Dartnell. They did offer to rent a machine and bring it
on site with their expertise. For us the cost was an issue as they
are based in Evesham Worcestershire but perhaps it is not so
expensive to go to York.

                 Distributed: Wednesday, June 15, 2005