Subject: Binder for cellulose powder

Binder for cellulose powder

From: Hubert Baija <h.baija<-a>
Date: Wednesday, June 15, 2005
Lori Arnold <woodbldg [at] aol__com> writest

>I am working on a large architectural wood conservation project that
>requires aesthetic repair on termite-damaged polychromed ceiling
>beams in an 18th century chapel. The termite activity is not active
>in these locations, but there is always the possibility of it
>returning. I do not want to use a non-reversible repair, such as
>epoxy. ...

You could make your fills with Papier mache mixed with a water-based
insecticide. For example ACE hardware sells such an insecticide with
Deltamethrin as the active ingredient. I forgot the brand name, but
the label will tell you the ingredients. If you mix the product with
the insecticide in water with a starch solution and thicken this
liquid with cellulose powder to a paper mache you should be able to
make acceptable fills overhead.

In Europe Deltamethrin is sold in a solution of low aromate
turpentine and is used widely to stop insect  infestations in
historic buildings. Deltamethrin is the synthetic version of a
substance that occurs naturally in chrysanthemums. It acts by
arresting the breathing of invertebrates and does not do this to
vertebrates (i.e. humans). The action is guaranteed for a minimum of
ten years after application. Although Deltamethrin is not deadly for
us in normal use I feel it is still a good idea to wear gloves while
using it.

Hubert Baija
Senior Conservator of Frames
Rijksmuseum Amsterdam