Subject: Video spectral comparator

Video spectral comparator

From: Mark Clarke <mark<-a>
Date: Sunday, June 5, 2005
I have had an enquiry about a Video Spectral Comparator (an
instrument that has several lights, filters, and cameras and
illuminates/visualises documents at different lights, UV - VIS - IR)
for reading difficult writing. I have used these before to read
effaced, faded or stained writing with success.

There is a 3 folio manuscript that cannot be moved from its library
in York (UK). Described to me as "a fascinatingly damaged
(flooding, slashes by unknown possibly seventeenth-century vandal,
heavy fading, etc), overwritten, and deteriorating document".

The question is: Is there anyone local, or nearby, who has one, or
access to one, who might be prepared to move it there for a day to
take digital images for the researcher in question. Or a similar
setup that would do the job. Probably a co-authored paper in it for
the lucky respondant.

Mark Clarke
ICN, Amsterdam

                  Distributed: Wednesday, June 8, 2005