Subject: Hard wood for flooring

Hard wood for flooring

From: Bob Self <rself<-a>
Date: Monday, June 6, 2005
Paul Himmelstein <aandh [at] mindspring__com> writes

>We are currently working with an architect on the renovation of a
>former private mansion in New York City.  Part of the space will be
>used for changing exhibitions.  These spaces require the
>installation of new wood floors.  I wonder if anyone has recent
>experience or information regarding the choice of a suitable hard
>wood that has minimal off gassing.  We have told the architect that
>oak is not appropriate, but would like to be able to offer one or
>more choices as alternatives.  While cost is a factor, color and
>durability are certainly important, as is the ecological
>acceptability of the species.

Have you considered maple?  It was the standard choice for schools
for a long time. Durability is supreme.  Color quite beautiful,
although on the blond side.  Cost may be a little on the high side -
probably more than standard flooring choices. Off-gassing--don't
know but I would think minimal compared with other species such as
pine or oak.

Bob Self
Architectural Conservator
Monticello