Subject: Binder for cellulose powder

Binder for cellulose powder

From: Candis C. Griggs <griggsconservation<-a>
Date: Saturday, June 4, 2005
Lori Arnold <woodbldg [at] aol__com> writest

>I am working on a large architectural wood conservation project that
>requires aesthetic repair on termite-damaged polychromed ceiling
>beams in an 18th century chapel. The termite activity is not active
>in these locations, but there is always the possibility of it
>returning. I do not want to use a non-reversible repair, such as
>epoxy. ...

Have you thought of shallow pigmented wax fills instead?  The 2003
AIC Objects Specialty Group PostPrints (vol. 10) just came out, and
there is a nice article in them about this by Maureen Russell.  You
might be able to inject a powder-based insecticide (or desiccant)
first and then close the holes with the wax. (Though perhaps not if
they are vertical holes in the ceiling- you wouldn't want the nasty
stuff coming right back down on you!) I've had great visual results
myself from using wax fills on wood, but of course this would not
work if the holes present a structural danger.  Just a thought.

Candis Griggs Hakim
Objects conservator

                  Distributed: Wednesday, June 8, 2005