Subject: Condition surveys

Condition surveys

From: Sophie Middlebrook <smiddlebrook<-a>
Date: Monday, June 6, 2005
Amber Tarnowski <amber.tarnowski [at] carlisle__army__mil> writes

>I'm interested in hand-held technology others have used for
>condition surveys in their collections. ...

We used 2 handheld computers (the HP iPAQ PocketPC h2200) to perform
a conditions survey on approximately 2,000 cemetery markers last
summer in Madison, New Jersey.  Our goal for the project was to both
create an accurate map of the site as well as a searchable database
in which basic descriptive information (inscription info, a digital
photo) and condition data were stored.  Based on those objectives,
we chose to use the ESRI ArcPad software on the handhelds.  Had we
not wanted to make a map as well as the database, we could have just
used the handheld version of MSAccess.

Because we used the handhelds, we entered the data digitally in the
field, and simply uploaded the data each evening on a desktop in the
office.  This meant that we avoided having to use a paper field form
and then manually type the info into the computer database in
stages.  We were able to make the field forms used on the handhelds
user-friendly, with basic drop down lists and check boxes for most
of the fields.  I did this minor customizing work in ArcPad, but I
think it would have been even easier in Access.  The only drawback
is that the handhelds each crashed twice, which meant that we lost
up to a half-day's work.  The next time I do a project like that, I
will work out an hourly back up system to prevent the inevitable
temper tantrum.

We took photos of each marker with a digital camera, and just
included a low-res image of the marker on the database report we
printed for the client.

I'm making a brief presentation about the project at this week's AIC
conference.  Hope this is helpful.

Sophie Middlebrook
Jablonski Berkowitz Conservation, Inc.
40 West 27th Street