Subject: Hard wood for flooring

Hard wood for flooring

From: Paul Himmelstein <aandh<-a>
Date: Wednesday, June 1, 2005
We are currently working with an architect on the renovation of a
former private mansion in New York City.  Part of the space will be
used for changing exhibitions.  These spaces require the
installation of new wood floors.  I wonder if anyone has recent
experience or information regarding the choice of a suitable hard
wood that has minimal off gassing.  We have told the architect that
oak is not appropriate, but would like to be able to offer one or
more choices as alternatives.  While cost is a factor, color and
durability are certainly important, as is the ecological
acceptability of the species.

Paul Himmelstein
Appelbaum and Himmelstein
444 Central Park West