Subject: Binder for cellulose powder

Binder for cellulose powder

From: Lori Arnold <woodbldg<-a>
Date: Wednesday, June 1, 2005
I am working on a large architectural wood conservation project that
requires aesthetic repair on termite-damaged polychromed ceiling
beams in an 18th century chapel. The termite activity is not active
in these locations, but there is always the possibility of it
returning. I do not want to use a non-reversible repair, such as
epoxy. The work will be carried out by conservators--not
contractors. I want to use a cellulose powder mixed, ideally, with a
borate solution and a synthetic binding media to inject into the
voids. The dried cellulose fill will be tinted with watercolor to
blend into the adjacent painted surface. Many glues are organic,
ruling out some great solutions. Can anyone recommend a synthetic
binder that would set the cellulose powder up like a paste (for
injection), would dry hard like a glue, is fairly colorless, isn't
organic, and is reversible? A lot to ask, but I'm throwing it out
there for suggestions.

Lori Arnold
President
Architectural Conservator