Subject: Plastic storage enclosures

Plastic storage enclosures

From: Alice Cannon <acannon<-a>
Date: Thursday, May 26, 2005
Hello, I was wondering if anyone out there has developed
specifications for plastic storage boxes--e.g. for containers and
sleeves made from polypropylene, polyethylene and the like--for
material properties such as base polymer(s), various additives
allowed, pigments etc as well as factors such as strength, rigidity
etc.

I have found some specifications that the Library of Congress
requires for certain products that have been useful, but if anyone
else has done work on this topic it would be very much appreciated!

On a more general level, how many organisations use plastic storage
boxes on a large scale--i.e. have made the switch from paper-based
products? (Even for discrete collections). If so, what were your
reasons for the change? Is it time to develop "Permanent Plastic"
standards to add to our ones for permanent paper?

Alice Cannon
Paper Conservator
The Centre for Cultural Materials Conservation
University of Melbourne, Australia

                  Distributed: Saturday, June 4, 2005