Subject: Oil painting on plywood

Oil painting on plywood

From: Maartje Witlox <maartje.witlox<-a>
Date: Wednesday, June 1, 2005
Lalit Kumar <renukalk [at] wilnetonline__net> writes

>An oil painting on ply wood has developed large fissures in the top
>layer. The fissures are running vertically and horizontally at three
>places. ...

Although I am afraid I cannot offer a solution to your question
about a new support for the painting on plywood, I do feel the need
to react to your message. The reason is your mention of the removal
of the *ground layers* in preparation for the transfer of the top
paint layer to a new support.

I assume that the fissures you mention are in the support and that
the support disintegrating has caused damage to the ground and paint
layers. Although only as a last resort, I understand that there are
rare cases where a transfer cannot be avoided. However, I would like
to urge you to seek a treatment that will not only save the top
paint layers but also the ground layers. I am sorry if I state the
obvious, but want to stress the fact that the ground is a very, very
important part of the painting and that should be treated with the
utmost respect. The ground reveals vital information about the
materials and/or painting techniques used by the painter, is
important in view of dating, geographical origin, authenticity and
for many more reasons.

I hope you will reconsider, treat the ground and paint layers
together as the paint you want to preserve, and will look for
options that allow you to save them both. Good luck with your
treatment,

Maartje Witlox
Research Associate, HART Project
Instituut Collectie Nederland