Subject: Condition surveys

Condition surveys

From: Carolyn Lamb <carolynpaintingconservator<-a>
Date: Monday, May 23, 2005
Amber Tarnowski <amber.tarnowski [at] carlisle__army__mil> writes

>I'm interested in hand-held technology others have used for
>condition surveys in their collections. ...

I have found a digital camcorder with stills capacity useful for
quick condition reporting. It is particularly useful for condition
checking in cramped stores,exhibitions,when time is tight,where
there is no space to set up photographic lights etc and any low
light level situations. You talk your report to the camera as you
film and play it back/write it up/save stills later at leisure.
Although the stills are not high resolution (640 x 480, 1600 x 1200
and 2015 x 1514) you can get a reasonable though small image and
good close ups. I use a Sony because it is good at low light levels,
you can save the stills for downloading on the memory stick and also
check things in the nightshot mode(infra red).

                  Distributed: Saturday, June 4, 2005