Subject: Sleigh

Sleigh

From: Sue Warren <swarren<-a>
Date: Tuesday, May 24, 2005
Anne Stockmeyer <a.stockmeyer [at] web__de> writes

>I'm starting my dissertation in conservation, writing and working on
>a child's sleigh. The most interesting parts are two imitation
>materials (painted textile / leather-like) ...

I have worked with sleighs and carriages for over 15 years and
commonly find the materials you have encountered.  The leather-like
material is japanned leather which was made by coating the leather
with  a mixture containing bitumen.  There are a variety of recipes
quoted in the literature, but they all vary slightly with the
manufacturer.  The leather was then heated, to polymerize the
coating.  The original finish would have had a mirror-shine. The
other material (faux caning on fabric) is a technique that I have
not seen very often on full size carriages, where in my experience,
the caning design is usually applied directly to the wood.  I assume
the fabric must be a method of minimising the effect of wood
shrinkage of the body panels.

Sue Warren
Conservator
Canada Science and Technology Museum