Subject: Storing phonograph discs

Storing phonograph discs

From: Sharon Connell <s.a.connell<-a>
Date: Monday, May 9, 2005
I would like some advice on storing some old sound discs in our
Special Collections. We have a mixture: acetate, shellac and vinyl.

I'm worried about two things: (1) offgassing from the acetate discs
both from the point of view of the degradation of the discs and the
other surrounding materials and (2) the RH of the storage area (55%)
as I know lower RHs are preferable.

Is storing in layered paper/polyethylene/aluminium foil jackets
upright in acid free boxes sufficient? Should I be looking at
introducing molecular sieves?

Sharon Connell
Conservation Officer
Brotherton Library