Subject: Database software

Database software

From: Prue McKay <prue.mckay<-a>
Date: Wednesday, May 18, 2005
The Conservation Lab at the National Archives of Australia (NAA) is
considering the purchase of an "off-the-shelf" database to assist
with recording of workflow and condition/treatment reports.  At
present, the NAA's inhouse, custom-designed collection database does
not have a Conservation component, nor is there any real plan to
create one.

We are looking at two options:  the "iO Collections Management
Software" package from Willoughby (who also make the well-known
MultiMIMSY program); or "The Museum System" package from Gallery
Systems.  I am interested in hearing from anyone who has experience
with the use of either of these programs, most importantly within a
conservation lab environment.  I would like to know what you like
and dislike about the program, what its limitations are, what you
have found it good for, etc. in order for us to make an informed
decision about which of the programs to purchase (if any).

Prue McKay
Supervising Conservator (Laboratory)
Preservation
National Archives of Australia