Subject: Butcher's wax

Butcher's wax

From: Seoyoung Kim <seoyoung.kim<-a>
Date: Thursday, May 12, 2005
Has anyone experienced any problems with using Butcher's wax (also
known as bowling alley wax), such as difficulty in removing,
changing appearance over time etc? I have used Butcher's wax on
various occasions when working in the US and know the wax is well
used among conservators in the US, but it is not well known in the
UK. Some of the properties of Butcher's wax are favourable in
comparison to other waxes (e.g., Renaissance wax) and I would like
to introduce it to my colleagues in the UK. Any information
regarding the use of the Butcher's wax would be greatly appreciated.

Seoyoung Kim,
Assistant Conservator (Metals, Arms and Armour)
Glasgow Museums
UK

                   Distributed: Friday, May 20, 2005