Subject: Rubber object

Rubber object

From: Shannon O'Dell <shannono<-a>
Date: Tuesday, May 17, 2005
I've recently received an item for our museum through the mail and
found that it had been damaged as a result of poor support during
packing.  It is a device by Kay-Sheerer of Germany and I believe it
has the purpose of anesthesia regulation.  The reddish rubber
squeeze bulb has broken away from the metal stop cock.  The gray
rubber tubing is also brittle and broken in two places. I would
guess that this item dates from about 1900 based on the case design.

I would like to learn if there are good references for the
non-conservation audience that would help me determine if the rubber
is repairable.  It appears I could place a (plexi?) support rod
through the stop cock section and then into the bulb to help with
structural support. But I would like a more semi-permanent solution
for reconnecting the rubber bulb to the stop-cock devise. I figure
the rubber tubing is more problematic and less likely to be
"repaired".

Any suggestions or bibliographic citations would be appreciated.  I
can send images to anyone interested.

Shannon O'Dell, Curator
Sindecuse Museum of Dentistry
University of Michigan